Friday 9 November 2007

Media Analysis: The State of e-zines today

The internet is a major source across the globe that we have all got access to. Even if we don’t have internet in our homes, there are many internet cafes on the high streets. Technology is a big part of our lives; I mean everyone these days has the latest mobile phone, the new and exclusive playstation or the new sleek blackberry. And if your anything like me, your blackberry becomes a status of who you are as a person; mine is filled with web pages and emails from fashion websites. These days when I want to find the latest news, or buy the new "IT BAG", I don’t bother to go to the store, I usually just source all these things on the internet. While currently studying Fashion Journalism at university, I find myself reading many newspapers daily and constantly flicking through magazines. But why should I buy so many editorial publications in print, when I can just as well source these editorial pieces online. Style.com for example is one of my favourite websites to log on to. On their website I can research the latest trends, discover new fashion shows across the globe, and read up on the latest fashion gossip. Being such an informative and interactive website, Style.com provides me with the ultimate resources I need. Comparing this website to a publication such as Vogue, I would say Style.com provides a more critical analysis of what is in or not in fashion. I mean who can blame me for wanting to source free and well-written articles online, rather than buy a magazine or a newspaper daily/weekly. Another website which I find very useful is nytimes.com. Style articles on this website are written in great context, and provide relevant information on many designer labels including Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein and Louis Vuitton. This website which seems to be updated regularly is a perfect source for journalists. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying it is a waste of time buying magazines, because there are many great ones out there such as Amelia, Harpers Bazaar and Wallpaper but the internet is still very useful. The power of e-zines are clearly successful, and when the internet becomes apart of a discussion it is quite hard for the other topic to compete. Another website which seems to always amaze me is Vmagazine.com. A cheaper resource to visionaire magazine, but a very useful and interactive website featuring brilliant photography. I remember seeing a picture featuring a dress and necklace by Maison Martin Margiela taken by Glen Luchford that left me speechless. It was just a photo, but the way it was taken made it a fabulous photo. This website is great for looking at various fashion images by renowned photographers. And by not being able to afford the magazine personally, it is great to discover the best features online.